PREFER is a project funded in the EU FP7, with start on 1st December 2012 and three years duration.
The main objective of PREFER is to set up a space-based end-to-end information services, based on satellite remote sensing data, to support prevention / preparedness and recovery phases of the Forest Fires emergency cycle in the European Mediterranean Region.
Because of its overall mild climate, the broad northern Mediterranean Region is also the region presenting the largest fraction of forested areas in Europe. Portugal, with its 38% of forests, is ranked first, followed by Spain's 36.41%, Italy's 30.36%, Greece's 30.28% and France's 29.13% (World Bank, 2011).
The key-drivers of PREFER can be summarized in four main topics: Systematic Fuel Estimates, Burn Scar Mapping, Analysis of fire Effects on Slope Stability, and Vegetation Recovery Analysis.
- University of Rome - Dipartimento di Ingegneria Astronautica Elettrica ed Energetica (Italy)
- CGS Compagnia Generale per lo Spazio S.p.A. (Italy)
- IES Consulting (Italy)
- GMV Aerospace and Defence SAU (Spain)
- SATWAYS (Greece)
- KEMEA - Center of Security Studies (Greece)
- SERTIT (France)
- University of Coimbra (Portugal)